funk

so michael comes home friday and i'm just looking forward to some relief from the "funk." it was supposed to rain but instead we have this bizarre tropical drizzle which sounds lovely and exotic but just makes you feel, well, funky. now i know all my cold and icy friends and family are grimacing at me, but i shouldn't be running the a/c in the "middle of winter" (source to follow) while its raining because it just feels so icky. the quarter's been a huge relief from the fall but i'm just over it, already, or just not quite into it. i have a stack (still) of 75 papers on my desk over there but instead spent my quiet time watching a week's worth of the daily show and some random good eats episodes. (my favorite "end of the era" quote from jon stewart though--the last eight years have been good, have been good, well, for this show..)

but that funk... with some carpooling gymnastic assists from nana & papa i bailed on my office hours, let my students get out a few minutes early and made it back out to south county for a dr. appt. long story short, i was convinced owen has had three months of mild ear infections and that it was affecting his hearing and causing everything from his pink eye to his phlegmy cough. so the nurse gave him a hearing test and after five minutes of what looked like rhythmic tapping on his knee owen says: ok, i'm all done with this game. i'm ready to go back in the other room where dr. k is. and the nurse says to me: look, i did every trick i knew and tested him at every decibel i had and his hearing is beyond perfect. (which, you know, i knew since i could whisper in the bathroom upstairs and he would hear me in the garage with the door closed while playing wii and still shout "mommy--why are you saying that? who? what?!!") then dr. k re-tested his ear pressure which was off kilter last month and now is pretty near normal and all his runny fluids are fine. and then of course the dr said: you know, we are in the middle of winter. and then i had to laugh. right, brrrr, this balmy misty winter. so we went home and i think we all jsut need to sleep off some funk--just in time to pick daddy up from the airport!!!

2 comments:

Malissa said...

Yay daddy is coming home! I bet you guys are super excited!! I had the "hearing problem" too with Ty...and he was TOTALLY fine!! And I know Heidi had the same thing with her Ali...I think it's that age!! They have selective hearing!! Ty still has it occassionally, until he remembers he will lose priviliges if he can't "hear" me!! Good luck with it!

Michael said...

yeah.. it's the off-and-on-again-cold-throat-thing, but that's good advice Malissa.

/just off the train at Stockholm airport. snowy and zero C.